alexander-kaene-deactivated2013 said: Hi I'm working on a CT setting that takes place in our solar system, I've destroyed Earth, and all drives travel in AU's not parsecs. I was just wondering if you had any ideas or suggestions on what I could do with the planets Haumea and Varuna?
This sounds like an interesting setting. Do the basics of Jump remain the same other than distance? That makes Kuiper Belt planets pretty remote, in addition to inhospitable.
It’s hard to answer without knowing more about the background, but here are a few ideas.
1. I like placing cults in remote locations. For a human-centric, sol-centric campaign, you might try a cult of someone like Yuri Gagarin. It’s good to make them mysterious and reclusive- saves you the trouble of figuring them out until they’re needed.
2. If you’re down with trans-humanism, these would be the places for the most extreme version. Lots of stuff we evolved on Earth is pretty pointless out there. Maybe people are optimized for low-light, low-pressure, low-g; or maybe their brains are transplanted into biomechanical bodies at birth and they live in hard vacuum. Throw Shapers and Mechanists in a blender with a little bit of Timothy Leary and you’ve got plenty of options.
3. No human has ever traveled this far. There are only robotic colonies mining volatiles for the inner system. But when all contact is lost with the colonies, some poor sap is going to have to go investigate.
4. We’re building planets! The Haumeans are devoted to gathering as much matter as they can and building up the planet. In just a few hundred years, they might clear their orbit and build something they can live on.
5. Varuna is the jumping-off point for a scheme to colonize the Oort Cloud. If the cloud extends far enough to overlap with the cloud of the nearest star, maybe we can eventually spread out among the stars in jumps of a few light-minutes at a time. It may take thousands of years to build, but who’s in a hurry now that we live forever? (I don’t think the physics work out on this one, but it’s a fun enough idea to make it work if you want.)
Just five random ideas. I hope one of them is of use.